Sunday, February 24, 2008

Digital Piano

I played the piano for about five years when I was younger. The amount of effort my parents put into trying to encourage/force me to play was much greater than the effort I expended practicing. Of course more than 10 years later, this is one of my big regrets (another notable one is not speaking more Vietnamese).

Almost a year ago, I started playing again on the upright piano from my childhood at my parents' home (when I was still living there). I really wanted to learn Chopin's Nocturne #20 in C# Minor. About two months later, my parents (mostly my mom) decided they wanted to buy my sister a grand piano (she's a fairly proficient player, deserving of a grand :)). The search started at Yamaha baby grands, and somehow turned into a Model 185 Boesendorfer (6'1"). That's one thing I was pretty sad to miss out on when I moved out! I stopped playing after moving out, since I no longer had regular access to a piano... until now.

After a couple of weeks of shopping around, I became the proud owner of a Casio AP45 digital piano. I too nearly became a victim of continuously looking at better and better models of pianos (and even thought of buying a $3000+ Yamaha CLP-270 at one point), but luckily I realized that this was a *digital piano* I was buying. I could buy an acoustic upright for that amount of money o_O. The Casio AP45 has a decent sound to it, and I liked the action fairly well for a digital piano. That was the most important factor in a digital piano for me. I want the feel of the keyboard to be as similar to a real piano as possible, so as to easily be able to transition to the Boesendorfer ;) My sister has claimed it for her inheritance, but we'll see about that.

I'm currently trying to get into the habit of playing 20 minutes when I wake up in the mornings. It collected a bit of dust for a couple of weeks while I was moping over recent events in my life, but has been getting more play this past week. I'm working on Celes from FF6, which isn't a terribly difficult song, but it's pretty :)

I started writing this post in anticipation of posting it for Valentine's Day, but that didn't happen, darn! :)

3 comments:

Milton Dorkenhoff said...

Welcome back :)

Arcade Fever said...

My first keyboard was the Casio SK-1. Good times.
http://www.retrothing.com/2006/10/casio_sk1_sampl.html'

Milton Dorkenhoff said...

But this isn't about you. It's about Linda. My first keyboard was attached to a VT100